For years I have wanted a Maiko ensemble. Genuine stuff is too expensive NOT to wear so I am embarking on a mission to create my own funky maiko ensemble.
This will include:
1. Completion of a hitoe hikizuri from furisode that I have had tacked together for an age waiting to be sewn. With my hand sewing technique this will probably take me 12 months 🙂
This is June colours and I think motifs so I will need to plan a matching obi.
2. Maiko collar, obiage and obijime. For this I need red fabric with silver painted detail, possibly painted by myself and heavy embroidered white fabric. Curtain fabric maybe 🙂
3. Darari Obi. I am going to need some monster brocade/embroidered fabric for this and the patience to embroider my own mon (probably a cat face) on the end in a light colour with gold detailing.
4. Okobo – I shall buy these, they are about $100.
My inspiration is a memory of a maiko I saw on flickr once and can never find the photo again. She was in Jade green, with a white and gold obi walking down an ally in Kyoto.
Crafting my own outfit means I will wear it and not be so worried about destroying the genuine article.
The challenge questions are:
1. How did you discover and get into kimono?
2. Your dearest kimono item(s).
3. Your most used kimono item(s) (not counting jubans, datejimes etc.).
4. Your least used kimono item(s).
5. Your favourite coordination(s) so far.
6. What do you like and don’t like about kimono.
7. Kimono confessions. Did you know that…
8. Your dream kitsuke items (or at least items you really really want but can’t get for whatever reason).
9. Your biggest kimono fears.
10. Your biggest kimono inspiration.
11. Your kimono collection.
12. The evolution of your kitsuke.
13. Your special kimono memory.
My biggest confession is I spend $300 on this:
and also that I always wear some kind of cotton cycling shorts under my kimono to stop my legs rubbing together. Kimono walking all day can sometimes get sore, where as normal walking you can stride out so it doesn’t 🙂
My kimono dream items would be maiko hikizuri and darai obi. I will buy them one day when I have spare money and somewhere to display them. Currently as I don’t cosplay they would just be folded away and not worn.
Origin of the challenge:
Blogs participating in the challenge: